6/12/08

Xander opened a birthday present today made by my grandma (his great-grandma). It was a little lovey blanket. When Xander opened the package and I pulled out the blanket it made me long to see my family. It is hard living 2300+ miles from everyone. My grandma will be 85 years young this September, but unfortunately she is not doing well either physically or mentally. It is hard to comprehend, as we have been living away from our family (in Minnesota) for almost 10 years. I remember my grandma from my youth, when she was very active and always in the garden or baking something delicious. Grandpa is still as "sharp as tack" my mom says, but he is feeling his years too, and needs to have knee replacement surgery.

Thinking of Grandma B, got me thinking about my other Grandma & Grandpa who have been gone now for over 10 years. They would've really loved Xander, and it's sad that they did not get to meet him.

When we are younger, we often times take advantage of our family and the fact that they'll always be there, or that they are always around. Looking back now, I wish I had spent more time with my Grandparents. Grandma & Grandpa V, are gone forever and Grandma & Grandpa B aren't going to be around forever. I wish Xander had the opportunity to visit with his grandparents more often, and sometimes I feel guilty living so far from them. Hopefully once Chris gets a permanent job, we'll be able to travel more often.

Until then, we'll have to make do with phone calls, e-mails and photos! I am so thankful that we live in a world (albeit an expensive one--gas for $3.72!!) where we can reach someone in an instant, either through the phone or the Internet. And when I am missing my family all I have to do is look at some photos or give them a call, and we are instantly connected.

1 comment:

Rae said...

We miss you too!! So much so that it is hard to write about without crying.

And don't whine...gas is $3.99 here;o)

Love you much!